10 of the Best Preachers I’ve Ever Heard (Part 1)

by Robert Earl Houston

I want to lift up the names of preachers who have made an impact in my life. This is part one of a series. These are not in any particular order . . .

DR. E.V. HILL, LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA – Dr. Hill was one of my favorite pictures. He was one of the first black preachers on national television and his sermons were profound yet simple; elegant but practical. He preached for our state convention, the General Baptist Convention of the Northwest, for several years:

DR. DONALD LEE PARSON, CHICAGO, ILLINOIS – The first time I heard Dr. Parson, he was the guest evangelist for my home church in Portland, Oregon and from that first night, I was hooked. What a tremendous preacher and even now, some 35 years later, Dr. Parson remains not only a mentor, but a friend.

DR. ROBERT H. WILSON, SR., DALLAS, TEXAS – If you grew up in the National Baptist Convention of America, Inc., you had to know and meet Dr. Bob – Dr. Robt. H. Wilson, Sr., who brought the Foreign Mission Board into the millions of dollars of donations and was one of the premier preachers. Impeccably dressed, he was the style standard for many young pastors and preachers.

DR. E. EDWARD JONES, II, SHREVEPORT, LOUISIANA – I was a child when I first heard “The Tall Angel” Dr. Jones. I still remember his sermon “A Bridge Over Troubled Waters” and to hear him and know him was a privilege. He remembers everyone by name (still don’t know how he does it) and don’t let him snap those suspenders while preaching…

BISHOP T.D. JAKES, DALLAS, TEXAS – Bishop Jakes has changed black preaching forever.  What E.K. Bailey did for expository preaching, Bishop Jakes has done for a new style of preaching that mixes expository, extemporaneous and exegetical into a perfect blend of style and soul.

DR. A. LOUIS PATTERSON, HOUSTON, TEXAS – I am a sold-out A. Louis Patterson fan. Whenever he’s in the area, I make it my business to hear the Prince of Preachers. I remember the first time I heard him, I was mesmerized by his theology and vocabulary skills. I met him personally when I served as his Facilitator during the Bishop College L.K. Williams Ministers Institute in his class on preaching. I’ve never been the same.

DR. R.A. WILLIAMS, JR., LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA – What I am as an expository preacher is the “fault” of this preacher. Dr. Williams, who I knew as a teenager, took preaching to a new level, mixed it with whooping (and he was the first to be non-apologetic for the craft) and blew my mind. For many years in Portland, at the St. Mark Baptist Church, he was the preacher we wanted to hear in Revival.

DR. E.K. BAILEY, DALLAS, TEXAS – Dr. Bailey and I met in Portland, Oregon when he did revivals at the Morning Star Baptist Church and I went to the early years of his conference in Dallas (I plan to return soon). He embraced me as a young pastor and every time we ran into each other, he always wanted to know how was I doing. I was with him at the National Missionary Baptist Convention of America shortly before his passing and a picture of him and I is one of my most precious photographs. He is responsible for black expository preaching being the standard.

DR. MELVIN VON WADE, SR., LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA – Another one of the preachers that Dr. E.C. Wilder brought to Portland, Oregon. Manuscript Preachers love Melvin Wade because he has taught us that you can be expository, lyrical and poetic at the same time and still preach from a manuscript.

DR. GARDNER CALVIN TAYLOR, NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK – In my mind, no list is complete without the Dean of Preachers. I’ve met Dr. Taylor on several occasions and he is one of the greatest black preachers to have ever walked in the land. From his humble Louisiana roots – he never personified New York preaching, he created it; he set the standard for preaching and humility as a way to climb high. I’m glad that he saw his dream in Nashville – all four of the major National Baptist conventions come together not once, but once again in Atlanta.

About these ads

26 responses

1. James C Perkins | Reply

You can’t think of no PNBC preachers? :)

1. Dr. Taylor ? He’s a PNBC preacher!

By convention:

Dr. Hill – NBCUSA, Inc.
      Dr. Parson – NBCUSA, Inc.
      Dr. Wilson – NBCA, Inc.
      Dr. Jones – NBCA, Inc.
      Bishop Jakes – Apostolic
      Dr. Patterson – NBCUSA, Inc.
      Dr. Williams – NBCUSA, Inc.
      Dr. Bailey – NBCA, Inc.
      Dr. Wade – NMBCA
      Dr. Taylor – PNBC

2. Dr. C. A. W. Clark, Dallas, Tx. Area. When he preached in convention, even Hill stood still to listen…WOW!

3. This sir is an impeccable list! I grew up in an anti-preacher home, but I would listen to these GREAT preachers whenever I got a chance! Please do give us a sequel to this list….. It is needed!

4. I scrolled down preacher after preacher eagerly awaiting to see Dr. Frank E. Ray, Sr of Memphis, TN, but didn’t. He is on your list, I understand you just got distracted while typing. Good list of great preachers!!!

1. Uhm . . . this is not an ultimate list, just part of a list. Dr. Ray will be appearing.

5. Minister Craig S. Gibson | Reply

So close to the area but didn’t make the list: Pastor Bobby D. Hicks of New Home Baptist Church

1. Never heard him before. This was MY LIST (SMILE).

6. […] On the original list, I noted the ministries of Pastors E.V. Hill, Donald L. Parson, Robert H. Wilson, Sr., E. Edward Jones, T.D. Jakes, A. Louis Patterson, R.A. Williams, Jr., E.K. Bailey, Melvin Von Wade, Sr. and Gardner Calvin Taylor. You can see that list and accompanying videos by clicking here now. […]

7. What happened to the late Dr. Pascal S. Wilkinson, Sr.? Out of San Antonio, Tx. Check the historical records, National, American, Southern, Texas Baptist. The movement of Our Lord Jesus Christ speaks in volume long prior to mentioned preachers all in love as I type this. They ministered to many walks of life no ethnicity required spreading the Gospel of Him who is able to do deliver & forgive all. Now if I’m missing an understanding of posting great men of God, please forgive me, in Jesus Name!

1. I know now it was a list from those that are participating. I’m on android, when it hit my inbox a topic was shown. Not the complete page of what is being blogged. Thanks for Keeping me in check. I do apologize. Thank God for honesty!

8. Pastor Houston,
    Great LIST…..but you missed another one…..YOU!!

9. Reverend D. Paul Moss, II | Reply

There are two preachers that were omitted from your list, that I believe should have been included. The first being the late Reverend Doctor William Augustus Jones, Jr. of the Bethany Baptist Church in Brooklyn, New York. And the second being Reverend Doctor Charles Edward Booth of the Mt. Olivet Baptist Church in Columbus, Ohio. Both men epitomize the art of preaching in the 21st century.

10. there were two guys on the radio in the late 80’s early 90’s and one would read while the other yelled AMEN!!! love those guys do you know their names

11. in the new York area btw

12. Dr Martin Luther King, Dr CAW Clark, Dr, CL Franklin, Dr Jaspar Williams, Dr Manuel Scott…the list goes on and on. A virtual plethora of premier black preaching pioneers. We all have our fave lists. (note: I’ve heard you too Dr Houston and you can definitely bring it!)

13. Pastor, I met you when you came to Park Ave. Christian church in New jersey. I sent my choir there to sing one night. I love your list, and most folk would like to add to your list. So if I may with all of the other names added. Mine are Dr. Clay Evans Felloeship Missionary Baptist Church,Chicago Ill. In the 60’s and 70′ Clay led the way for preachers on records, C.L. Franklin, Detroit, Cleophus Robinson, Sammy Rash, OL Holliday. Baltimore produced some great preachers. Harold Carter, sr; one of the first to build a mega church. Walter S. Thomas who has maybe the largest church campus in the nation. Logan Kearse, Conerstone Church of Christ. He started Conerstone in 1959. In 10 years it had outgrown every other church in that city. He was the Martin Luther King of Baltimore, and was the most visible pastor leading the civil rights charge. Cornerstone’s budget was 5000 a week in the early 70’s when other folk were around 1000 weekly.

14. rev. k.v. ardrey | Reply

bless you sir the list is strong,N.C. has fire breathers also will send you a list soon headed by the late dr. william lee jr.

15. Dennis Ross,jr | Reply

How could there ever be a list of great baptist preachers and not mention the late Dr Sandy Ray.

1. Remember, this is a list of great preachers I HAVE heard personally.

16. Rev. BarryThomas | Reply

how about the Dr Tellis J Chapman Galilee Baptist church Detroit mich

17. Rev. BarryThomas | Reply

Its Preaching at its best check him out!!!

18. Rev. W.C. Coleman | Reply

I have had the pleasure of hearing most of these. Let me add the late Dr. Kelley Key, Southern Missionary Baptist Church, Los Angeles, Ca.

19. Where’s John MacArthur?

1. Never heard him personally. This is MY list of those whom I have heard personally.