Robert Earl Houston, 54, is the senior pastor of the First Baptist Church of Frankfort, Kentucky. He is married to the former Jessica Georgette (Anderson) Houston of Sacramento, California. He is the son of Ms. Naomi Houston, 85 and the late Minister Phene Houston.
Pastor Houston is a native of Portland He matriculated through the Portland Public School system and has a Bachelor’s Degree from Mt. Carmel Theological Seminary of Fresno, California. He’s studied at Portland State University, Multnomah School of the Bible, American Baptist Seminary of the West, Golden Gate Theological Seminary, Cuyamaca Community College and is currently enrolled in the Master’s program at Andersonville Theological Seminary.
Spiritually he was raised at the Morning Star Baptist Church, Rev. Sylvester McCullumn, Pastor. At a Bible Camp in 1976 by Rev. Bruce Andrews. It was there he surrendered by life to Christ. In 1976 he later united with New Hope Missionary Baptist Church, Rev. A. Bernard Devers, I, Pastor.
During high school he excelled on the Speech/Debate Team and was a radio sports announcer (football, basketball) for Radio Station KBPS 1450 AM.
Pastor Houston began playing the organ in 1977 and then in December of that same year, he was called to preach the Gospel. Pastor preached his first sermon on April 30, 1978 and licensed to preach by New Hope and Pastor Devers in September 1979. He served as Co-Interim Pastor of New Hope in 1984 and was ordained in December under Pastor Johnny Pack, IV., whom he assisted in the planting of Fellowship Missionary Baptist Church. He also was a frequent guest preacher for J.W. Friday’s broadcast on KBOO Radio which allowed him to preach the gospel on-air throughout the state of Oregon.
He has served as pastor of Greater St. Stephen (1989-1991), Mt. Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church of Fresno, California (1991-1995), New Hope Friendship Missionary Baptist Church of San Diego, California (1995-2004). After leaving New Hope he was involved in a full-time ministry of evangelism, preaching across the nation, and served as a Senior Project Manager for Morris Cerullo World Evangelism to Dr. Morris Cerullo (2004-2005).
In 2005 Pastor Houston was invited to serve as Assistant Pastor of Westwood Baptist Church, University Center in Nashville, Tennessee, by Pastor Barton Elliott Harris, where he dutifully served. He served faithfully until being called to the First Baptist Church, Frankfort, Kentucky in February 2009, moving there in March and began his duties in April. He was installed by Pastor Harris on May 31, 2009.
Under his leadership, First Baptist Church has grown numerically, financially, educationally, spiritually and in maturity. A second morning worship service has been added, a massive restoration project has recently been concluded, new roof added, new dining furniture purchased, new musical instruments purchased, new audio equipment purchased, off-site Vacation Bible School instituted, and a plethora of improvements and enhancements have been realized.
Pastor Houston has preached across the United States inclusive of Churches, State Conventions, District Associations, District Congresses, State Congresses, National Congresses and other fellowships. In addition, he has been quoted in several periodicals and online web magazines including the Morehouse School of Religion and was recently quoted by Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Tx.) on the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives as she gave tribute to the late Dr. A. Louis Patterson, Jr.
Denominational work has always been important to him and is currently serving in various capacities:
- Immediate Past President, Kentucky State Convention of the Progressive National Baptist Convention, Inc.
– Chairman of the Publishing Board, General Association of Baptists in Kentucky
– Member, Full Gospel Baptist Church Fellowship, Atlanta, Georgia.
– Member, Gospel Music Workshop of America, Detroit, Michigan.
In addition Pastor Houston serves as the following:
– Creator/Writer for “The Wire” blog at http://www.roberthouston.org.
– Contributing Writer for http://www.churchleaders.com.
– Contributing Writer for the American Baptist Newspaper.
– Contributing Writer for “The Bishop” Online Magazine.
– Host of “Evening Worship” a locally televised program, broadcast every Sunday evening at 5:30 p.m. on Channel 20.
– Author of “See You In The Morning” a collection of funeral sermons preached from the pulpit of First Baptist Church, available via Amazon, Kindle and iBooks.
By the way, they have one cat – “Coco” that was adopted from Lexington, Kentucky from an animal shelter.
MINISTERS WHO PASTOR HOUSTON HAS PASTORED AT ONE TIME IN HIS 34 YEARS OF MINISTRY THAT ARE NOW PASTORING:
- Pastor Jimmie Adams, St. Joseph Missionary Baptist Church, Fresno, California (deceased)
– Pastor Charles Bembry, New Hope Missionary Baptist Church, Pasco, Washington (deceased)
– Pastors Dwight and Vanessa Ben, Greater Destiny Christian Church, Houston, Texas
– Pastor Alonzo G. Brooks, Sr., New Jerusalem Community Church, San Diego, California
– Pastor Dennis Hubbard, Bethlehem Baptist Church, Albuquerque, New Mexico
– Pastor George Jackson, (Church Name Unknown), Houston, Texas
– Pastor Carole Jacobs, House of Refuge Life Center, Frankfort, Kentucky
– Pastor Dwight McDonald, New Mount Hermon Baptist Church, San Diego, California
– Pastor Edmond Perkins, Jr., Unity Missionary Baptist Church, San Diego, California
– Pastor Chester Riggins, St. Rest Baptist Church, Fresno, California (deceased)
– Pastor Melvin Whittle, Sr., Second Baptist Church, Fresno, California
PASTOR HOUSTON PRESS KIT (In Progress)
- Publicity Photo (8 x 10)
This is my personal blog. The opinions I express here do not necessarily represent those of my employer, the First Baptist Church of Frankfort, Kentucky. The information I provide is on an as-is basis. I make no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this blog and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its use.