by Robert Earl Houston
At press time, arrangements have not been announced for the following ministers. However, I did want to share the information of their home goings and as the information is made available I will update the page:
Services are pending:
by Robert Earl Houston
1. It’s not as easy as it looks. Touch your neighbor and say “It’s not as easy as it looks.”
2. Studying proficient preachers will aid in becoming a proficient preacher. However, the goal is not to become a carbon copy because God has given you special gifts and talents and limitations.
3. Never judge a sermon that looks like it “missed it.” Sometimes the Holy Spirit will take the foolishness of preaching and use the sermon to change somebody’s life. Many a Sunday I’ve beaten myself up over a sermon to look on Facebook to see the words “Pastor preached . . .”
4. The first person to hear the sermon should always be yourself.
5. Never choose to preach a sermon based on a suggestion from a relative or a commercial on television or something that sounds pithy. Prayer and The Bible should be the first and primary stop in sermon preparation.
6. A good steak will make its own gravy. Never cook the gravy first and then try to find a steak to put under it. Do not get caught up in spending three days practicing your whoop and thirty minutes in sermon prep.
7. A sermon that ignores the cross is a sermon that ignores the hope that was provided for us in blood. Jesus Christ should be invited into every sermon as the guest of honor.
8. Stick to the text. Rabbit hunting season resulted in Elmer Fudd being injured and that may happen to the preacher.
9. An Associate Minister should not preach “pastoral sermons” – if your pastor is under attack, your sermon may not help him, but hurt him. It’s not your job to “straighten out the church” on behalf of the pastor.
10. Keep three sermons on you at all times – one in your head, one in your heart, and one in your pocket (iPhone, iPad).
This is not a criticism nor a critique. This is just a few words from someone who has been an Associate Minister and matriculated to a Senior Pastor over the course of 42 years. My desire as I knock on the door of 60 is to be a blessing to preachers and pastors, especially this next generation – which I believe will be THE critical generation to the Church.
by Robert Earl Houston
1. Never advertise where you’re going to preach. Some church members want to hear only their pastor.
2. Trust God in the process.
3. Never criticize or fight your or another pastor – it will come back to haunt you. And, it opens you to reap the same when (or if) you pastor.
4. Always have a sermon ready – you never know when you may have to preach on the spot.
5. Never enter another church’s pulpit without invitation from the Pastor. It’s better to be asked up than asked down.
6. Encourage your pastor and fellow associates.
7. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy your time as an associate. The day may come when you wind up as a pastor and you’ll look back on the days when you sat under your pastor, etc.
8. Stick by your pastor. Repeat stick by your pastor.
9. Never end a sermon without expressing the hope and power of the crucifixion, the burial, and the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
10. Now is the time to start investing in your ministry. Instead of $800 gators on your feet, get Logos or Word Search. Instead of $1,500 to hang out in Vegas, use that money and go to IC3 or E.K. Bailey or other major conferences that will bless your ministry.
This is not a criticism nor a critique. This is just a few words from someone who has been an Associate Minister, an Interim Pastor, an Administrative Assistant, and a Senior Pastor. My desire as I knock on the door of 60 is to be a blessing to preachers and pastors, especially this next generation – which I believe will be THE critical generation to the Church.
Vacant Pulpit – First Gethsemane Missionary Baptist Church (1st G Church), Louisville, Kentucky (Deadline: August 31, 2019)
PASTORAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Application Period August 1, 2019 – August 31, 2019
The First Gethsemane Missionary Baptist Church (1st G Church) membership is prayerfully seeking a full-time Senior Pastor called by God who has the following qualifications, experience, characteristics and attributes to effectively preach and teach God’s Word. The Senior Pastor is to be responsible for the Biblical and Spiritual obligations as outlined in 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, and Titus, as well as a man after God’s own Heart (1 Samuel 13:14). The Senior Pastor is to be a born again baptized believer in Jesus Christ and can fulfill the spiritual needs of the 1st G Church congregation. The Senior Pastor is to be accountable, first and foremost to GOD and HIS WORD, secondly to his Family, the 1st G Joint Council, and the membership of 1st G Church. The Senior Pastor is to be a visionary with strong leadership and communication skills who preaches the Gospel of Jesus Christ, teaches sound Biblical/National Baptist doctrine, engages in Christian growth and development, promotes missions at home and abroad, and pursues the Great Commission as outlined in Matthew 28.
1st G Church has been in existence since 1910 with a diverse, predominantly African American membership. On January 26, 2019, our pastor of 35 years, Dr. T. Vaughn Walker transitioned home to be with the Lord. God has proven faithful throughout the history of 1st G Church. May He continue to lead and direct us as we move, in His name, into a new era. WE BELIEVE in and stand on the Holy Bible as the revealed and inspired Word of God; The Lord’s perfect revelation to humankind. WE BELIEVE that Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God, is the only way to salvation. WE BELIEVE in a Triune God (Father, Son [Jesus Christ], and Holy Spirit) as the one and only true God. WE BELIEVE that all believers are called and spiritually gifted for ministry service for the present age. The local church is a body of baptized believers in Jesus Christ who work in covenant relationship under the headship of Jesus and led by a Senior Pastor as overseer and under shepherd.
Senior Pastor Job Description
Responsibilities and Functions:
Leading. — In consultation with God and in collaboration with the Leadership of 1st G Church, the Senior Pastor will establish the vision annually for this body of believers. The Senior Pastor will lead and develop the ministerial staff in equipping the congregation to fulfill the Great Commission and accomplish the vision and purpose of this church. The Senior Pastor will provide leadership, direction and operational support to the ministry and ministries of the church.
Administering. — The Senior Pastor will administer and oversee the ministerial staff of the church. The Senior Pastor will administer the policies and procedures of the church.
Ministering. — The Senior Pastor will use his spiritual gifts to edify and build this local body of believers. The Senior Pastor will provide appropriate pastoral care to members of the church and the community and will equip the members of the ministerial staff and the deacon body to do the same.
Communicating. — The Senior Pastor will preach and teach the Bible, believing that it has God for its author, salvation for its end, and truth without any mixture of error for its matter. The Senior Pastor will communicate the vision for the ministry that God gives to this congregation.
- Licensed and ordained preacher of the gospel with five years’ ministry experience.
- Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
(Degree from an accredited Seminary in Biblical Studies, Divinity, or Theology preferred).
- Expository preaching/teaching style
- Husband of one wife or wife of one husband.
- Evidence of effective administration, leadership, and communication skills-verbal/written.
- Ability to work with a diverse congregation across all races, genders, and ages.
- Evidence of effective engagement in larger local, state, and national community.
- Committed to continuing education, personal development, and convention participation.
- Staff and volunteer development and coaching.
- Financial awareness and responsibility.
- A visionary with sound judgment and discernment.
- Not convicted of a criminal offense.
- Other administrative duties.
Please submit a candidate package consisting of the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Current Resume
- Ordination Certificate
- Copy of College Degree(s)
- 2 Preaching Sermon DVDs/video links
- 2 Teaching Bible Study DVDs/video links
IMPORTANT NOTE – PLEASE READ PRIOR TO SUBMITTING DOCUMENTS:
Documents may not be submitted independently of each other and any missing information will result in automatic disqualification.
Selected candidates will be notified and asked to provide additional information later in the selection process. In addition, final candidates must also submit to a reference check, a criminal history background check, and a credit and financial history review (preformed through an outside agency for complete confidentiality). The Pastoral Search Committee will treat any and all information confidentially.
All documents may be submitted by mail or via email to:
First Gethsemane Baptist Church
Attn: Pastoral Search Committee
P.O. Box 21432
Louisville KY 40221
Mailed documents must be postmarked by August 31, 2019. Emailed documents must be received no later than 11:59 p.m., August 31, 2019.
All applicants will receive a receipt confirmation email within 14 business days.
First Baptist Church — Bracktown (located in Lexington, KY) is seeking a visionary Pastor, led by God, who aligns with the qualifications presented in 1 Timothy 3:1-7; Titus 1:6-9; and Peter 5:1-4. The candidate must be a transformational leader, committed to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ, teach sound Baptist doctrine and engage in all pastoral duties as assigned.
A successful candidate must meet the following qualifications:
- ● Must be a licensed and ordained Baptist Minister called by God
- ● Possess a four-year degree in an appropriate discipline (Master’s preferred)
- ● Pastoral experience preferred (at least at the associate pastor level)
- ● Ability to develop and deliver biblically sound and spirit-filled sermons that appeal to the people and connect with their current life experiences
- ● Ability to teach bible study and Sunday school lessons that further increase spiritual growth among members
- ● Provide proof of strong administrative and communication skills
- ● Ability to articulate a vision for the church that emphasizes Christian education,evangelism, discipleship and empowerment
- ● Have a record of successfully connecting with younger church members (i.e. millennials) and showing respect and admiration for senior members
- ● Demonstrated ability to effectively work in harmony with Deacons, Trustees, other church leaders and the congregation in general
- ● Documented success in establishing initiatives that promote church growth and membership retention
- ● Has a track record as a revered community leader/activist with a desire to continue civic engagement
- ● Have specific goals to increase the church’s role in evangelism/outreach; (e.g. ability to plan and implement collaborations with other local churches and the community at large)
- ● Possess financial/business acumen
Duties and Responsibilities: Oversee the spiritual development of the church body through biblically sound preaching and teaching that is life changing and relevant; Implement a plan to perpetuate the church’s growth both spiritually and numerically; Take heed to the needs, care and nurturing of the church membership through visitation and pastoral care; Function as a servant leader that provides direction to ministry leaders, church ministries and staff; Promote tithing, offering and sacrificial giving as God’s way of financially supporting His church as taught in Malachi 3:10; Demonstrate compassion and character above reproach, reflective of Jesus Christ and leads the church through inspirations from God; Employ means of accessibility to the congregation by establishing and maintaining office hours, etc.
Complete applications should contain the following: A cover letter, A current resume, Copy of ministerial license, Certificate of Ordination, 3 Reference Letters (including Letter from a Pastor, Letter from a layperson, Personal letter from a non-relative)
Final candidates will be notified and requested to provide additional information later in the selection process. Final candidates must consent to confidential background checks (including references, criminal history, drug screening, and credit/financial history review).
All application packet materials should be emailed to the email address below beginning July 1st and no later than September 30th, 2019.
The oldest Black Baptist church in New Mexico (an affiliate of the National Baptist Convention USA, Inc.) is currently seeking an experienced, born again, bible believing ordained Baptist minister who is excellent with interpersonal relationships. All candidates must provide a proven record of active participation in their District Associations, State and National Convention. A proven record of growth and development of ministries at your previous/present church is required. All educational and personal experiences that are spiritually based will be considered. A strong belief in Baptist doctrine i.e., “The Articles of Faith, and the two ordinances: “Baptism by Immersion” and “The Lord’s Supper” is a must. All interested candidates should forward a resume to Mount Olive Baptist Church, Attn Search Committee Chairman via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or 2401 University Blvd SE, Albuquerque, NM 87106. Deadline for submission is September 30, 2019.
Vacant Pulpit: Christian Love Baptist Church Modesto, CA
Filing Open July 1, 2019- Closing Deadline September 2, 2019 5:00 pm
Christian Love Baptist Church in Modesto, CA is prayerfully seeking a pastor called by God and equipped to effectively preach and teach God’s Word. The candidate must be a born again, baptized believer in Jesus Christ with the ability to also fulfill the spiritual needs of the congregation through visitations, prayer and administering the Ordinances of the Church.
(1 Timothy 3:1-13; Titus 1:5-9)
Principle Responsibilities and Accountability:
Bachelor’s Degree and/or equivalent experience in Pastoral Ministry. Graduate of an accredited seminary/divinity school or Bible College preferred.
Must be an ordained preacher of the Gospel.
A minimum of three years of Pastoral experience as Baptist Pastor or an Assistant to the Pastor is preferred. (1 Timothy:3:1-13)
**All Applicants will be subject to a Background Check
Interested Applicants must submit required information (via mail, post marked by the application closing date September 2, 2019 5:00 pm) to:
Pulpit Search Committee
Christian Love Baptist Church
Modesto, CA 95351
Courtesy: Progressive National Baptist Convention, Inc.